What are tonsil stones?
Tonsil stones are calcium-like deposits that form around your tonsils. They are white in colour. They result from food particles or dead cells when they get stuck in the small crevices as well as craters found on and around your tonsils. Deposits usually form around the food particles or dead cells and when your body attacks them, they start to fester thus resulting in a build-up.
Tonsils stones can be detrimental to your health and they also cause bad breath. The foul smell that emanates from the tonsil stones is usually the first symptom that is usually noticed by someone who is suffering from this problem. In some cases, they cause a lot of discomforts. Additionally, if they are allowed to sit untouched for some time, they can get infected and cause significant pain in the back of your throat. However, this infection can be treated easily.
There are several treatment options for tonsil stones which do not involve surgery. However, surgical removal of tonsil stones is also a good option.
-Oral hygiene: Always keep your teeth clean after every meal. This includes flossing as well as irrigation. Additionally, brushing the area around the stones can help free them from where they are stuck.
– You can also use a blast of water from an oral hygiene device to help dislodge the tonsil stones. However, you need to be very gentle because the back of your throat is very sensitive and you may have a strong gag reflex.
– You can choose to use a wet Q-tip to brush away the stones. Your finger can be used for the same purpose. Always be gentle.
– Another effective method for removing tonsil stones involves gurgling fluids in order to help loosen the stones. The most ideal fluids for this purpose include club soda, a light solution of salt or peroxide, or any carbonated beverage. Additionally, you can use lemon juice. The advantage of using lemon is that it contains a high concentration of Vitamin C, which is effective in getting rid of tonsil stones. Apple Cider Vinegar and extra virgin oil are other good fluids that can help get rid of tonsil stones naturally. Gurling should ideally be done after every meal.
– Aloe Vera gel: You can use Aloe Vera gel to clean your tongue. This gel is known to clear tonsil stones naturally.
– Garlic: Garlic has some anti-bacterial as well as antibiotic properties. Chewing some raw garlic cloves helps treat tonsil stones naturally.
You may need to visit an ENT specialist who will perform minor surgery to remove your tonsil stones. The surgery can be done in the doctor’s office. The specific area where the stones are located is numbed with medication and then the doctor will gently scrape the stones away. For people with strong gag reflex usually require full anesthesia during the minor surgery.
This is a procedure that is used to remove tonsil stones permanently. It involves the use of a CO2 laser to reshape the area around the tonsils in order to reduce the probability of food and bacteria getting lodged in the area around your tonsils. However, this procedure is considered to be invasive.
Tonsils stones are usually a big problem that can even affect your social life. However, if you apply the home remedies mentioned here above, you can get rid of them effectively. You can also opt to go for the minor surgery or the laser treatment.